TEACH US DELIGHT IN SIMPLE THINGS

Saturday, November 2, 2013

Thoughts from the Porch Swing




I just need to slow down once in awhile. You know, really breathe. Do nothing. The summer months are winding down, the bushes are trimmed, the weeds have stopped growing, the mower is tucked away, and everything else that continually keep my garden gloves dirty is finished.
After all that a few weeks ago, I actually paused on the front steps and sat down. Then I sighed.
Then I thought...
"Why do I ALWAYS need to be accomplishing something?
What WAS the last book I read? How long has it been since I blogged? I miss reading and blogging."
With some effort to ignore the to-do list in my head, I've made my way to the porch swing more often. One day, I napped there. I spent an evening in it with Charlotte and a quilt. We sang every song I could think of. We patty-caked and rowed the boat and practiced our best itsy bitsy spider moves.
Occasionally, a book keeps me there for the afternoon. Well, the book and the breeze. I just finished one and nearly another. (Took me a bit of head-scratching to remember where I had neatly stashed the kindle charger.)
The swing is the perfect place for quilt binding, too.
Alan joins me when he can and we soak up the stillness of our little piece of the world. Some nights the bullfrogs at the creek across the pasture croak loud and strong. Prairie music?
Sigh!
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:The Farm

No comments:

Post a Comment


Just Us